Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Ride

Easter this year was fantastic to say the least.  First going to Friday service at Gateway was extremely  great.  I loved Fellowship Church but am extremely thankful every night that God led me to Gateway Church.  I cannot tell you how much I have grown in just the short amount of time there.  But anyway long story short by going to church on Friday it freed up my weekend for lots of training.

So on Sunday I went to my second favorite coffeehouse in The Design District.  From there I quickly changed my plans and from Trinity Park in Fort Worth to Katy Trail ended up being the location I went to.  I started off with a bike ride.  Riding the Katy was fun but also for the first couple of miles a little more stressful and slow due to the many runners and walkers who were taking up the full lane.  Now I know how bikers feel when I am running the Katy although I do tend to run to the sides of the path anyway so I am usually not their problem.  Or at least I hope not.  From there I jumped on the side road at the end of the path and headed to Mockingbird and SMU.  And wouldn't you know it church on the campus let out about the same time I hit the campus and there were even more people on all the path options I had.  But still managed to get around them and off to visit the campus for the bike perspective was awesome.  This was purely a easy ride for me so taking selfies was part of the plan.  I am finally getting myself use to taking these selfies.  I am starting to become a pro at self promotion or selfies as the rest of y'all call it.  But hey if I don't promote myself who will.  When and visited a lot of the campus and really got a fresh look.  Extremely pleasant time for me.  That ended up being right now 17 miles give or take some.  I haven't uploaded my data yet.

Got my run on next and started off real fresh and real ready to run.  And that lasted for a mile.  The rest of my run was good and with no back tightness so that is something I am happy with.  Now my running shoes I cannot say the same thing for.  I have been having a love hate relationship with my current pair of shoes.  I love Brooks but I tell you the fall of 2013 have not been their best time frame for shoes with me.  It is making me think of switching brands for this summer and beyond for sure.  I just cannot have it be a 50 / 50 chance on whether or not I am going to be having a good run.  That is just too risky for me and not good for my body as well.  I at least did buy three pairs of running shoes from The Cowtown running expo that Luke's Locker were selling for $25 per pair if you bought three or more pairs.  And I was glad to be able to buy three pairs for less than what it would cost me to buy just one pair.  So I may have to bring one of those pairs out.  I was hoping to save them until the fall but that might not be the case anymore.  Saving my ankles and knees should be the most important concern for me.

Today I ran 6 miles and the back tightness came back but I still managed to run 6 in a decent time.  Not a time I am proud of but about the time I did my first ever 10k in.  So that is strange but it also showed me that I need to just run 6 miles a day for the work week so I can get in my 30 miles of running and hopefully between getting myself stronger in the run and also stronger in the core exercises that it will benefit me for the long haul.

My swim on the other hand tonight was horrible and very short.  Tonight I finally realized why triathlons start with the swim and not end with it.  After running 6 miles and doing about 45 minutes of core workouts I finally got into the pool.  Only to swim one lap and then my left leg starts cramping up and from that point it was hard for me to get my kicking down because everything I would start the swim the leg would start to cramp up.  So tonights swim was quick but very painful.  And I learned a lesson.  Try to swim first IF possible and end on the run.  That I will still need to work on.

Tomorrow is a swimming lesson and I will then head over to Katy Trail and get in about 6 miles before heading home.  I miss my Katy so seeing her these past few days is great.  I just can't be with her as much as either of us would like.  But tomorrow I shall be with her and then end the night at Eatzi's.  Until then...

No comments: