Saturday, March 29, 2014

Survived OWS

Today was the 2nd Annual Open Water Swim for DFW Tri Club and my first for both with the group or by myself.  First time to actually be in the lake water with the intention of swimming for sport.  Got there later than I wanted which is sad since I only live less than 6 minutes from the location we were going to meet.  So I get there sign in and go to get my wet suit only to find out that all the ones with sleeves were gone and only sleeveless ones were left.  At first I thought this is going to make this a long day but it ended up being the best thing that happened for me.  Because I got a lot more comfortable with the water and its temperature without the sleeves and that ended up helping me get more comfortable with the water quicker.  But still the open water is completely different that the pool water.  I knew it would be different just not this much different.  Once you are in the water you can barely see more than a few inches away.  It was completely muddy and sight was just thrown out of the equation for the swim.  I did do a lot today.  But what I really saw myself doing because of the murky water was not breathing like I was in the pool or from what I learned even this past Thursday.  I breathed a little but very little.  I do not know if that was due to the water or the temperature of the water or maybe even a little anxiety from everything above.  I think my group was only in the water for about 30 to 45 minutes because they were going over important things to remember when you are swimming during a race plus other tips to help us get better times, where and when to enter the water during a race and many other tips.  It was well worth the time for me to attend.

After the open water swim I went on a 21 mile bike ride.  For the first time I felt good throughout the ride.  I only had one very short period of time when my legs felt weak but outside of that the ride was completely successful.  It was an extremely great ride for me but I know I am still a little slower than all the other riders.  I got passed a couple of time but the speed will come.  Today my main focus was keeping my legs going at a constant pace without going too fast where it would wear me down quicker and not too slow where it would probably wear me out at the end of the ride.  I found myself staying right at that 3:58 to 4:09 per mile pace.  It was very consistent and I was glad to see that my focus on one thing worked for this particular ride.

Today I conquered one more hurdle when it was all said and done.  I got my shock over with in the open water.  I now need to find myself becoming a stronger swimmer so I can find myself swimmer further away from the shore.  I would love to see myself real soon reach that first buoy and conquer yet another wall that is preventing me from achieving all my goals for the triathlons.  But one step at a time.  Learning patience was never a strong part of myself.  I always believe that once I get my mid onto something and I could achieve it immediately.  After all I have always been a quick learner when I am thought from doing something.  I learn from doing.  But even after I learn from doing in the swim it is still not something I am able to just achieve.  It is now patience I must learn in this process.  And who knows that might be something that in itself will benefit me more in my life as well.

No comments: