Sunday, March 2, 2014

The weekend that wasn't

Well this weekend really did not turn out the way I needed it to be.  What I needed was 4 hours of biking, running and swimming on at least one of these two days and neither of them happened for me.  I did get a decent swim in on Friday night and I got a good bike ride in on Saturday as well.  But with church and other things on Saturday my day just didn't work out.  Now with that said I also wouldn't have changed a thing on Saturday either.  Becoming a member of Gateway Church was something very important to me and I wasn't going to delay that process for anything.  And I will also not miss the 4 pm service if I am available and in town.  Using training as an excuse will not work for me when it comes to getting to church on Saturday.  Some things are just more important than training.  And God is it.  Well okay maybe family too.

Sunday well lets not go there.  I went to my coffeehouse Ascension in the morning hoping it would warm up a degree or two when I finally got to White Rock.  And let's just say that didn't happen.  It was still freezing as it was in the morning at the coffeehouse except now I could add in the wind coming off and around the lake.  Put that factor into the mix and you got one hell of a cold day.  My hands were pretty much frozen from the moment I got out of my car until the moment I got back into my car.  The bike ride was horrible and didn't last long.  Anything you cannot feel your fingers is not going to be an enjoyable event.  And this by far wasn't enjoyable.

So here I am less than two weeks away from the sprint and I missed 48 hours of possible training.  Granted I know I can run a 5k in my sleep but what I don't know still is if I can run a 5k after finishing a bike ride of 16 miles.  That was my goal today and now it will have to be my goal next weekend instead.  I know I can ride 16 miles on my bike granted not in my sleep yet but again what I do not know is if I can ride 16 miles after I got out of the pool, wet, pants I put on will be wet and I hate being wet for too long.  So that should be interesting to see.

I did read some great articles on doing your first tri-even and what to expect and what you need to know so you do not make common mistakes.  Those were so great reads over a couple of cups of coffee today.  BTW if you have never been to either Crooked Tree Coffeehouse in Uptown or Ascension in the Design District what are you waiting for.  These are two great places to drink coffee without going to those franchise places like Starbucks.  These are real coffeehouses and you support the local community in the process.

Here's to hoping the rest of this week is profitable for me in my training.

No comments: