Monday, March 3, 2014

What the...

Ironic that I read an article of preparing your mind for the cold water if you can't before a race get a chance to do a pre-race swim.  I was thinking Sunday, oh yeah, I can prepare myself no problem.  How are can it be I mean water being cold is just that cold and you move on.  Well not so fast.  I found out tonight what extremely cold water feels like and how it takes the air out of you as you are swimming.  Holy Cow I thought this is going to be impossible because my body just can't get itself to accept that the water is indeed cold.  So tonight's swim was sponsor by the letters W. T. and F.  Because once my body hit the water the first thing out of my mouth was probably not something you would tell a little child.  Yes I am a sinner and yes when my body hits water that feels like it is in the 40s I can only tell you that this little Christian boy will commit a sin or two.  Deal with it I know I have.  Plus it is not like I really said it out load.

I swam and swam and swam and then realized that I was only swimming a few meters because the cold made my mind go crazy.  I kept thinking I was swimming further than I actually was.  A very good training I guess on this one.  Because now I know what the magazine article meant by you need to prepare yourself for cold temperatures before a race if you can't do a pre-swim first.

Swim overall went decent.  I did get myself into the water and then completely in the water before finally getting myself swimming probably only did 200 meters tonight because in the end the temperature did win out this time around.  Nice time... Oh heck it will probably win out then too.  Let's be honest.  I will be seen wearing a sweatshirt when the temperatures outside reach mid-70s to high-70s because I am so cold natured.  But eventually I will win that battle just probably not now.  Only if I was honest with myself.

No comments: