Friday, January 17, 2014

Swimming Weekend

I am fighting something that most runners will get from time to time.  It usually comes to runners when they try to expand their goals faster than their bodies can handle it.  And for me it is the shins.  I have had a couple of my last runs ruined by my shins hurting ever so slightly but noticeable on my runs.  So I decided after last Wednesday's run to take a few days off.  Wouldn't you know it that the last couple of days of have fantastic.  The sky clear of clouds and the weather right where you would want it for any run.  And here I am walking outside just saying to myself.  Damnit.  Why couldn't it be dark, cloudy and raining over these days that I am taking off.  But nooooo it has to be awesome outside.  So I am using this time to focus on my swimming instead.  I swam tonight and actually got in 350 meters tonight.  By far my longest I have ever swam at one moment in time.  And the distance of 300 is key for me right now as that is the swim distance for the sprint triathlon that I am wanting to do as early as March 16th.

My goal is to learn how to swim.  My goal is to make swimming not a weak spot of the three events in a triathlon but rather one of my strong points.  My goal is to keep trying and focusing on improving myself in all aspects of my game.  I know I can run.  Not great but good enough that I do not need to worry about that aspect in the triathlon.  I know I can ride a bike.  How good and for how long well that is something I need to find out for sure.  And that I will find out soon as I hope to have a bike by the end of January.

I will just need to focus myself on these goals in simple steps.  I am not a patience person so to focus on simple steps will not be easy.  I always feel like I can learn things quickly and should be a pro in anything I put my mind too in a few days.  I learn quickly and I am a hands on learner not a book learner.  So when I am in the pool I am learning hands on so I will always feel like I should get this down quickly.  Well that isn't happening just yet.  But patience is something I probably need to learn and this might be the trick to force me to learn it.

No comments: